Why the Dating DNA site is “G-Rated”

The entire Dating DNA site is “G Rated.”  This means any of the public areas must not contain anything offensive to a “general audience.”  (No nude or suggestive photos, no profanity or adult language in the forums and chat rooms, etc.) For example, our Forums and Chat Rooms have a filter to screen out potentially offensive, non-G rated language.  Profiles with non-G rated photos are quickly deleted, and so on.

However, even though the site is G-rated, you must also be an adult (18 years or older) to have a Dating DNA account.  So, we often get asked the question, “If only adults are on this site, why does it need to be G rated?  We’re all adults here, why make us hold back and keep things G?” We get asked this question enough, I thought it time to address it in our blog.

First, let me address why Dating DNA only allows adults, 18 and older to join:

In many states, the “age of consent” is 18.  Because we are a dating site with the intention of helping people meet for dating and relationships, we don’t think it’s appropriate to mix minors and adults together.  We also don’t think it’s proper for us to be creating a dating environment for a minor without their parent’s consent and involvement.  For these reasons, to obtain a Dating DNA account, you must acknowledge that you are at least 18.  (If you find minors on the site, please report them so their account can be closed.  You can learn about Dating DNA’s community monitoring and reporting here.)

Next, let me address why Dating DNA is 100% G-rated:

To do this, let’s look at a hypothetical situation.  Suppose a creepy old pervert peeks his head into the doorway of two clubs that are right next to each other.  The first club is well lit, full of people nicely dressed, all of which are smiling, laughing, and discussing sports, music, politics, and the news of the day.  The second club is dimly lit and filled with people scantly dressed, drunk, telling obscene jokes, and swearing profusely.  Which of these two clubs do you think this pervert will enter and spend the evening?

The same is true of websites.  If a website is full of nude photos, swearing, and obscene language, it will attract the perverts and repel those sincerely looking for someone compatible to date.   If you don’t believe me, just check this out:  Craigslist NYC Personals – Men Seeking Women.

We created Dating DNA to help sincere singles find someone compatible for dating.  Even though we have chat rooms, games, and other fun and interesting things to do on the site, the main goal for our site is always to find compatible dating opportunity for sincere singles.

Because Dating DNA is a free service (no fees, no credit card needed, etc.), it’s very easy for anyone to get an account.  This means someone could join, go into the chat rooms, and start being offensive to everyone without fear of their identity being discovered or losing any money.  This is why most “free” dating sites don’t work. They quickly become over run with the lowest common denominator of perverts, fakes, spammers, etc.

We knew when we set out to create a free service with Dating DNA, this would be our biggest challenge:  How do you have a free dating site, yet keep out the pervs, spammers, and fakes? We made solving this dilemma our number one priority.  You can read the very first blog I ever penned for Dating DNA here:  Zero Tolerance for Perverts, Fibbers, Fakes, Spammers, and Scammers.  We then put into place our community monitoring, which you can read about in my blog here:   Community Monitoring: The Dating DNA Community Decides Who to Reject.

As with my example of the two clubs earlier, by keeping Dating DNA 100% G-Rated, we are more likely to attract the sincere singles and repel the perverts.  By enforcing our G-rated community standards, our user base becomes larger and larger with these sincere singles, while the number of perverts, fakes, gamers, etc. gets smaller and smaller.  There are thousands of places on the Internet for the sexually-oriented crowd to chat and meet, we want Dating DNA to be one of those rare places where sincere singles can make compatibility the focus, not just sex.

Kevin Carmony
Founder, Dating DNA
DNA# 123-456-789
(I intentionally keep my Threshold set at 1, so feel free to
add me to your strand and shoot me an email anytime.)

Advertisements

24 Responses to Why the Dating DNA site is “G-Rated”

1. Yani says:

Since ur telling everyone how they got deleted please tell me because I honestly don’t get it… I’m not being funny or pretending I don’t know I’m so very serious please tell me

2. datingdna says:

Yani,

You had a photo of you in bed with a topless woman. Not exactly “G” rated.

Dating DNA

3. Mark says:

Thanks for the article. When will the next update happen? Seems to be a while?

4. datingdna says:

Mark,

We’re working on lots of changes. We hope to have our next update out in February.

5. Amy jade says:

I was banned but I never said anything wrong or anything the terms and conditions said not to do

6. datingdna says:

Amy,

You were banned for uploading a fake photo. (Actress from Bay Watch.)

Dating DNA

7. Anna says:

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to create this app. Only joined a couple of hours ago and have already met lots of genuine people. I for one appreciate all the efforts to ensure that this doesn’t become yet another sleazy dating site for people who are after only one thing!
    Keep up the good work!

8. Carmen says:

Keep up the great work. I wish I knew earlier about your site. I found it as an application on iPhone and I downloaded it because I was curious to see what was all about.
    Last year I decided to give online dating a chance and the only thing I got back was a very bitter taste. I had a nice share of fake photos, fake profiles, weird people etc. contacting me – if there was a true profile through them then it was very hard to find it. I will not name the sites but all claim to be great and reliable dating sites (you are talking in detail here about one of them). Some have also ID verification but they also allow free profiles without this procedure to contact you. And usually those are the ones contacting you all the time.
    Anyway I wish I didn’t need to go through all that and lose so much time and effort to get back only the bad stuff I got.
    For anyone that considers now to give online dating a chance – one advice that can be found everywhere on this site, and I learn in the hard way – keep always an eye open for any inconsistency in a profile. If you find even a tiny one there is a chance that that profile is fake.

Please, please continue the wonderful work you are doing. Hopefully I will have – at last – a real chance to meet that special someone I am looking for. And hopefully more Canadians will join the site as almost everyone I get matched with, is from US and looking mostly for people closer to them.
    Until now you are the only TRUE and REAL dating site I ever found.

9. I agree. This adds credibility to the site as well. Keep members that acts professionally and you will likely get successful candidates.

10. Nadia says:

Hey I just made my acount and it says that I’m banned from it. I did not do anything wrong?

11. datingdna says:

Nadia,

You joined when you were 17 which added you to the banned list. By law, minors are not allowed on the site. If you try to sneak by when you’re a minor, even once you become 18, you’re on the banned list for having been dishonest to the community.

Dating DNA

12. David says:

I’ve done nothing to banned yet I still got kicked off what’s the reason behind this

13. datingdna says:

David,

As per the email that was sent to you when your SECOND profile was removed, you can only have ONE profile. You created a second profile that was contradictory to your first profile, so they can’t both be accurate. If something has changed on your profile, you need to edit your existing profile, not create a second one.

Dating DNA

14. Anonymous says:

How about if people try to talk about sexual things when they message u? Is that appropriate? I know it’s a private message, but it makes me uncomfortable! Is that allowed?

15. datingdna says:

Sending someone a sexual messages, even via private email, out of the blue, unprovoked or solicited, would be a violation of our policy and yes, you should flag anyone sending you such messages and they would be removed.

16. Vi Pratt says:

I want to make a profile on your dating site and need to ask some questions first as I don’t get kicked off as I read you site was real good. Do I have to put my real age.. my real name.. where I live. Can I just do this on the internet as I don’t have I phone and all that other stuff. I made a IM yahoo address with not my real name and address but is close to where I do live, as I am afraid someone will find me. I didn’t want to talk to anyone on my reguler email or IM. Is that ok? I need to know all the rules. I found my last wonderful husband on the internet and we both were honest. I think we just got lucky. Well he has passed away and now I am on the hunt again. I also need my man to believe in Godi is that one of the questions? I am 67 and have to be careful as I know there are a lot of scammers out there. Thanks for helping me. God Bless, Vi Pratt

17. datingdna says:

Vi: At this time, you can only join via the iPhone. Also, most of our users are in their 20’s, so we probably wouldn’t have a lot of matches for you.

18. Anonymous says:

I got banned for making my mom a profile from my iPhone. I did nothing wrong and want to be allowed to use DNA. Paid $5.00 for it and got kicked out for making a profile for my mom and I from the same phone. :*((

19. datingdna says:

No one would have been “banned” for this, but the extra profile would have been removed from the system (and the first one would still be there). We have an automated system that catches multiple profiles coming from the same device that share other similar traits (photos, passwords, etc.), as this helps cut down on the fraud, spammers, etc. If a second profile was legitimately created on your device, please contact support@datingdna.com and they can help turn the second profile back on. Thanks.

20. Sam says:

Thanks and I agree!!!

21. Jayden Tones says:

how long does a ban last?

22. datingdna says:

Jayden,

Forever. We have a zero tolerance for policy:

Dating DNA

23. Jennifer Johnson says:

Well I personally think that it is crap that as adults we cant have fun in the lobby. I love being on DNA and I understand trying to keep the perverts out but overnight while I am at work I get on and have fun with my friends. If you make people mad by rejecting them, etc. then u can be banned. I know you told me that you are thinking about getting rid of the chatroom all together because it is more trouble than what its worth but I have a lot of friends in the lobby and would all vouch for m. I know oyu dont care but I do and so do they. At night we just have fun and I dont believe I have ever truly offended someone. I know I do not keep it g rated but no one on the overnight group does. I guess it just depends on who you are and what you look like huh. Oh well good luck with success of your site. And thank u for deleting my account with no warning. Bye

24. datingdna says:

Jennifer: As you said, “I know I do not keep it g rated…” So let’s get this straight? We spend thousands of hours building a site that WE want to have G-rated, and you spend $.99 or whatever and come in and take it over? How about you either A) find a site that allows non-G banter, or B) spend thousands of hours and build your own site. We didn’t build this site to make money, but to have one place for dating without perverts being attracted to it. The web is full of places for adult chat, you don’t need to bring it to Dating DNA.